Check out our comprehensive guide to wedding guest attire ideas. From stylish jumpsuits to elegant maxi gowns, we’ve got you covered! So relax and take your time deciding – we promise, whatever option you choose will be perfect.
Do you have a wedding coming up that you’re invited to? If so, then you’re probably wondering what to wear! While the bride and groom will likely be decked out in their best, it’s up to the guests to look good too. Not sure where to start?
Dressing for a wedding can be tricky. You want to look your best, but you don’t want to upstage the couple. Here are some ideas for dresses that will make you look great and still show respect for the bride or groom!
This comprehensive guide will tell you everything you need to know about a wedding guest attire.
When it comes to weddings, there are a few things you definitely don’t want to do: be the late guest, show up without a gift, or wear the wrong outfit. If you’re not sure what the right outfit is, don’t worry! From colour tips to choosing the right style, we’ve got you covered. So read on and get inspired!
Wedding guest attire ideas
When attending a wedding, it’s important to dress appropriately. While the level of formality can vary depending on the couple’s preference, it’s generally a good idea to err on the side of caution and dress up rather than down. For men, this usually means wearing a suit or sport coat and tie.
For women, a cocktail dress or dressy separates are typically appropriate. If you’re unsure about what to wear, it’s always better to ask the couple in advance or consult with the wedding planner. With a little advance planning, you can ensure that you look your best and help make the day even more special for the happy couple.
Factors in considering your attire
When it comes to wedding guest attire, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- First, consider the time of day and location of the wedding. A daytime wedding will generally be more casual than an evening wedding, and a beach wedding will be more casual than a formal church ceremony.
- Second, take a look at the invitations for any clues about the dress code. Most weddings will specify if it is a black tie, cocktail, or casual dress.
- Third, consider your own comfort level. You want to be able to enjoy the celebration, so make sure you choose an outfit that you feel good in.
With these things in mind, here are a few general guidelines for wedding guest attire.
If you’re attending a wedding as a male guest, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind when choosing your outfit. First, it’s important to know the dress code of the wedding. If the invitation doesn’t specify a dress code, it’s generally safe to assume that white-tie attire is appropriate. This means wearing dress pants, a dress shirt, and a blazer or tuxedo. You can also wear a tie if you’d like, but it’s not required.
- For White-Ties wedding guest attire for men: For formal occasions, white tie is the standard for men. It includes a black Jacket with tails, a white shirt, waistcoat, and trousers with a black proper bow tie.
- For Black-Ties wedding guest attire for men: It’s more for evening wears. Well, it typically consists of a tailored black jacket, dress shirt, black trousers, and a cummerbund or waistcoat. Sometimes a white dinner jacket is worn instead. A black tie is perfect for elegant functions and formal occasions.
- For semi-formal or cocktail wedding guest attire for men: A cocktail attire for men is a style of clothing that is perfect for semi-formal occasions. It usually consists of a dark suit, dress shirt, and tie.
- For semi-casual wedding guest attire for men: For men, semi-casual attire can include slacks and a collared shirt. If you’re looking to dress up your look a bit, you could also add a sport coat or blazer. Accessorize with a belt and nice shoes, and you’ll be ready for any semi-casual event.
You can find different men’s wedding guest attire here:
Wedding guest attire – Men’s Ideas
|Prince Of Wales Check Blazer
Available sizes: 92, 96, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116
|Two Colour Mid Check Shirt
Available sizes: 39 to 46
|Wool Houndstooth Suit Jacket
Available sizes: 112, 124
|Richards Check Suit Jacket
Available sizes: 46, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56
|French Navy Stretch Suit Pant
Available sizes: 26, 28
Price: Now $29.70
Available sizes: 44, 46, 48, 50, 52, 52, 58
Price: Now $38.70
|Reiss Men’s Deeper Single Breasted Suit – Light Grey
Available sizes: 40
|Topman Man Pastel Pink Suit Jackets Polyester
Available sizes: US 38
|Dsquared2 Man Beige Suits Virgin Wool
Available sizes: IT46
|Formal Ditsy Camden Shirt
Available sizes: S, M, L, XL, 2XL
Available sizes: 36, 38, 40, 42, 44
|Shadow Check Tail Jacket
Available sizes: 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46
|Politix Ultra Slim Stretch Two Tone Tailored Jacket
Available sizes: AU S, AU M, AU L, AU XL
|TaroCash Xavi Linen Blazer
Available sizes: S, M
|TaroCash Vito Linen Blazer
Available sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL, 3XL
For women, a daytime or semi-formal wedding calls for a sundress, skirt, or pantsuit. For an evening or formal wedding, a cocktail dress or long gown is appropriate. As always, be sure to check with the bride and groom before making any final decisions. Most weddings will specify if it is a black tie, cocktail, or casual dress.
- For White-Ties wedding guest attire for women: A white-tie attire is a dress code reserved for the most formal of occasions. Women’s attire typically consists of a full-length evening gown.
- For semi-formal or cocktail wedding guest attire for women: For women, semi-formal or cocktail attire generally consists of a dress, skirt, or pantsuit. It should be relatively stylish and classy, but not too over the top.
- For semi-casual wedding guest attire for women: For women, semi-casual attire typically means items like a dress, slacks, a blazer, and a nice blouse. However, it really depends on the specific event or setting. If you’re unsure, it’s always best to err on the side of dressing slightly more formally.
You can find different women’s wedding guest attire here:
Wedding guest attire – Women’s Ideas
|Soirée Dress – Teal
Available sizes: 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20
|Pasadena Silk Dress – Midnight Resort
Available sizes: M, L
|Anastasia Draped Tie Waist Dress
Available sizes: 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16
|Penny Long Sleeve Wrap Dress
Available sizes: 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16
|Amberly Tie Waist Knit Dress
Available sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL
|Gabrielle Tweed Dress
Available sizes: 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16
|CALLI Aluna Midi Dress
Available sizes: 8, 12, 14, 18
|AZZURIELLE Trevin Dress
Available sizes: 6, 8, 10, 12
|CHANCERY Ashten Dress
Available sizes: 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18
|CHANCERY Fitzgerald Dress
Available sizes: 6, 8, 10, 12, 16
|Florrie Jersey Dress
Available sizes: 6 to 22
|Tulle V-Neck Maxi Party Dress
Available sizes: 6 to 22
|Worship Women’s Blue Long Shift Dress – Blue
Available sizes: AU 8, AU 10, AU 12, AU 14, AU 16, AU 18
|Tatuum Women’s Dress Koneti
Available Sizes: EU 34, EU 36, EU 38, EU 40, EU 42
|Reiss Women’s Luisa Long Sleeve Zip Knitted Dress
Available sizes: XS, M, L
What guests should not wear to a wedding?
Wedding season is upon us, and that means it’s time to start thinking about what to wear! If you’re fortunate enough to have been invited to a wedding, there are a few things you should keep in mind when choosing an outfit.
- First and foremost, it’s important to avoid anything that would upstage the bride or draw attention away from the happy couple. That means no white, off-white, or ivory-coloured clothing.
- It’s also a good idea to steer clear of overly flashy or sexy clothing. Remember, this is a formal event, so save the sparkles and slinky dresses for another time. And finally, be sure to check the dress code on the invitation.
- Some weddings request that guests wear black ties or semi-formal attire, while others are more casual. By following these simple guidelines, you can ensure that you’ll look your best and be respectful of the occasion.
Regardless of whether you’re male or female, there are certain items of clothing that you’ll want to avoid wearing to a wedding.
- First and foremost, it’s important to avoid anything that is too casual or informal. This includes jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and sneakers.
- You’ll also want to avoid anything that is too revealing or sexy. This includes short dresses or skirts, low-cut tops, and high heels.
- While it’s always polite to ask the bride and groom what they would prefer guests wear to their wedding, there are a few general guidelines that most people follow
- For men, it’s generally recommended not to wear a tuxedo if you’re not the groom or part of the wedding party – a dark suit is more appropriate
- Women should avoid wearing anything too revealing or flashy – save the fancy dress for another occasion
- If you’re not sure what to wear, it’s always better to be overdressed than underdressed at a wedding
- And finally, don’t forget about footwear! Wedges or sandals might be OK for a summer wedding, but if there’s any chance of rain or snow, make sure to pack a pair of boots or shoes that will keep your feet dry and warm
In addition to your clothing, there are a few accessories that you may want to consider wearing to a wedding. First, consider wearing a watch. A watch can help add a touch of sophistication to your outfit. Second, consider wearing a boutonniere or corsage.
These are small floral arrangements that are typically worn on the lapel of a suit jacket or on the shoulder of a dress. Third, consider wearing sunglasses. Sunglasses can be particularly useful if you’re attending an outdoor wedding in the summertime.
What are some of the most common mistakes guests make when dressing for a wedding?
When it comes to wedding attire, there are a few common mistakes that guests often make. First of all, it’s important to make sure that you’re aware of the dress code. Many weddings will specify whether it’s black tie, semi-formal, or casual, and it’s important to dress accordingly.
Wearing the wrong type of clothing can be distracting and take away from the overall look of the event. Additionally, it’s important to avoid wearing anything that might be considered controversial or offensive. This includes clothing with profanity or political messages.
Finally, be sure to avoid anything that is too revealing or risque. Wedding guests should always err on the side of caution when it comes to their outfit choices.
Tilly Rib Dress Terracotta from OZSALE
Are there any exceptions to the dress code, such as for pregnant women or people with disabilities?
Most wedding dress codes are pretty straightforward, but there are always a few exceptions. For example, many wedding venues will allow pregnant women to wear something other than a traditional gown. If you’re expecting, be sure to check with the venue before choosing your dress.
People with disabilities may also be exempt from the dress code. If you have a disability that makes it difficult to wear formal attire, speak to the wedding planner or venue manager and they should be able to accommodate you. Of course, the best way to figure out what to wear is to simply ask the bride and groom! They’ll be able to tell you exactly what they’re envisioning for their big day.
You can also check these links for wedding guest attire ideas for pregnant mothers
What should you do if you don’t have anything suitable to wear to a wedding and don’t want to buy something new just for the occasion?
If you’ve been invited to a wedding and are scrambling to find something to wear, don’t panic. There are plenty of options available, even if you don’t have anything suitable in your closet. First, take a look at the wedding dress code. If it’s a black-tie affair, you’ll want to dress accordingly.
However, if the dress code is more relaxed, you have a bit more leeway. A nice sundress or even a pair of slacks and a blouse can be appropriate wedding guest attire. If all else fails, consider renting something for the occasion. There are many companies that allow you to rent designer dresses and gowns on a short-term basis.
By doing a little bit of research, you’re sure to find something that will make you look and feel your best on the big day.
Catzon Oblique Shoulder Childrens Dress Rose Print Dress Girls Evening Party Costume-Glitter from OZSALE
What should kids wear to a wedding?
While wedding attire for adults is typically quite formal, children’s wedding guest attire can be a bit more flexible. That being said, there are still some basic guidelines that should be followed. For example, it is generally considered inappropriate for young children to wear white, as this is typically reserved for the bride.
In terms of colour, light and pastel shades are usually best for both boys and girls. As for style, avoiding anything too casual or sporty is always a good idea. In general, wedding guest attire for kids should be modest, comfortable, and stylish. With these guidelines in mind, shopping for the perfect wedding guest outfit will be a breeze!
The Gentleman Set from OZSALE
A nice dress or suit
If you want your child to look their best at a wedding, consider dressing them in a nice dress or suit. This is a great option for both boys and girls, and it will ensure that they look sharp and stylish. You can find affordable dresses and suits at most department stores or online retailers.
A dressy dress or gown
If you have a daughter, she may feel more comfortable and elegant in a dressy dress or gown. There are many beautiful options available for girls of all ages, and you can find something to fit any budget. Just be sure to avoid anything too revealing or formal, as it may be inappropriate for a child to wear.
Khakis and a button-down shirt
For boys, khakis and a button-down shirt are always good options. This classic look is appropriate for any formal occasion, and it can be easily dressed up or down depending on the event. You can find affordable khakis and shirts at most department stores or online retailers.
No matter what outfit you choose for your child, be sure to pair it with a nice pair of dress shoes. This will help them to look polished and put-together, and it will also prevent them from getting too dirty during the event. You can find affordable dress shoes at most department stores or online retailers.
Finally, don’t forget to accessorize! A few simple accessories can really make an outfit pop, so consider adding a belt, tie, scarf, or brooch to your child’s ensemble. You can also add some sparkle with some pretty jewellery or hair accessories.
What are some of your tips for dressing up or down for a wedding?