The humble Tulsi plant has immense benefits when it comes to curing various seasonal ailments
New Delhi: Tulsi is related to the familiar sweet basil that enhances food flavour, as well as helps treat various health ailments and conditions. For centuries it has been used as a traditional medicine in both Ayurveda and the Chinese system of healing.
Benefits of Tulsi
The humble Tulsi plant has immense benefits when it comes to curing various seasonal ailments like the common cold and flu. A few other benefits include:
- Increased blood circulation
- Treating insect bites
- Healing kidney issues
- Treating skin problems
- Snake bites
- Treating digestive issues
- Treats respiratory issues
- Possesses anti-bacterial compounds that fight off infections
Risks of overeating Tulsi
Chronic headaches: The best herbal teas to treat them
Unbelievable health benefits of drinking green tea with lemon
Due to the infinite health benefits of Tulsi, known as the “golden remedy of Ayurveda”, we tend to forget that if over-consumed, the herb also has various disadvantages. A few of them listed below are:
- Not good in pregnancy: Overeating Tulsi leaves can severely affect the health of pregnant women, and in some rare cases even lead to miscarriage. The herb can cause severe uterine contractions by stimulating the flow of blood to the uterus and pelvic areas.
- Causes blood sugar imbalance: If a diabetes patient is taking medicines to keep the blood sugar in control, adding Tulsi to the diet can cause an imbalance as the herb can lower the levels drastically.
- May impact fertility: Even though studies are going on to prove it, a few research conducted have shown that Tulsi can hurt fertility of both genders. It may lower the sperm count as well as shrink the uterus and ovary.
- Stains teeth: Tulsi leaves contain mercury and hence if chewed they can cause discolouration of the teeth.
- Damages liver: Tulsi is packed with eugenols, over-consumption of which can cause severe liver damage, nausea, fast heartbeat, and convulsions.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.
Turmeric tea: Health benefits of drinking this unique beverage
Papaya leaf: Health benefits of the leaf; digestion, healthy skin and more