Pregnant mum loses baby after 2.5hr wait in hospital car park because she had Covid

A pregnant mum lost her ‘healthy’ baby after being forced to wait in the car park of Birmingham Women’s Hospital for two and a half hours – because she had Covid-19.

Fationa Nikolli was 31 weeks and four days into her pregnancy when told she had to wait outside the Selly Oak hospital until a single room could be found for her.

The Quinton mum-of-two, who had tested positive for coronavirus, travelled the five-minute journey straight to the hospital amid fears she could no longer feel the baby at 10am on July 6.

Read more: Walsall Manor Hospital probe after baby dies from ‘oxygen starvation’ two days after birth

When she was eventually brought in to the hospital at 12.30pm she underwent an emergency C-section, but sadly her baby was stillborn.

Mrs Nikolli claims a doctor said to her: “If you had came in before, I could have saved the baby.”

Almost three months later, the mum of two boys said she has heard nothing from the hospital – and is still awaiting answers on the tragedy.

But after being approached by BirminghamLive, the Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Foundation Trust apologised to Mrs Nikolli and said a probe is underway.

The Trust also said it had made “immediate changes and improvements” to how they manage pregnant women with Covid-19.

Birmingham Women’s Hospital apologised to the mum after her baby sadly died

But that is small comfort to Mrs Nikolli, who claims her doctor had examined her the day before the death and had said her baby was healthy.

She said: “If they had taken me in hospital before, maybe the baby would still be alive.

“I went with Covid, I called the hospital, I said: ‘I want to come because I don’t feel the baby’.

“They said: ‘Yes come’ and when I got to the hospital, they left me two and a half hours in the car park.”

Despite pleading with medics that it was an ’emergency’, she claims she was told to wait until the hospital had found a separate room, isolated from other patients.

She recalled: “I said to them ‘I can’t feel the baby, you need to bring me inside the hospital straight away and don’t leave me in car park’.

“I’d stayed in the car park because they said I could not come inside as I was (Covid) positive. They said they needed to find one room for me.

“I waited outside the hospital two hours and a half and when I got inside, I waited for (another) 20 minutes.”

She continued: “When the doctor came to visit, he said: ‘He’s still alive but the heart is too slow’.

Fationa Nikolli was 31 weeks and four days pregnant when her baby was stillborn

“The doctor said he would do the Caesarean in 30 minutes but ‘it is too late to save the baby, if you came inside before, I could save the baby, but it’s too late now’.

“And I did lose my baby.”

She continued: “When I gave birth, when I lost the baby and I came out from the surgery, they said: ‘Your baby is stillborn’.

“They told me I should come see the baby. I told them I didn’t want to, I wasn’t prepared for this.”

The mum says she had a normal pregnancy up until the tragedy, with her GP saying the baby was healthy just the day before.

“All my pregnancy was fine,” she said.

“On July 5 I visited with the GP and they said your baby is very healthy, you are very well, his heart is very, very well.

“I can’t understand why this happened… just in one day?”

After the stillbirth, the mum was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital next door to be cared for as the oxygen in her blood was too low due to Covid-19.

She is now awaiting answers as to what caused the tragedy.

“I asked the hospital to do the autopsy and they said we need to wait three months,” she said.

” I don’t know anything at the moment, I’m waiting. I’ve called them many times, to know something.

“Maybe it was because I was positive for coronavirus, I don’t know.”

Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Foundation Trust said a full investigation was underway and apologised to the mum.

Gv of Birmingham Women’s Hospital. 19/05/20

Dr Fiona Reynolds, the Chief Medical Officer at Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Foundation Trust, said: “We offer our sincere apologies and condolences to Fationa and her family.

“We were not able to be there for her in the way we would want or expect.

“We have made a number of immediate changes and improvements to how we manage COVID positive women should we experience an increase or surge in attendances to ensure all women and babies are cared for safely.

“A full investigation into what happened is progressing to enable us to understand why Fationa’s baby died and if anything could have been done differently to avoid this devastating outcome.

“We aim for all investigations to involve the family at the centre of care to ensure their voices are heard.

“A senior midwife has engaged with them with continued, regular contact with Fationa through our Bereavement Midwives who will continue to offer support in any way that they can.”

Stay abreast with the very latest from district of our city with our Birmingham News Email Updates.