This Ground Turkey Stroganoff takes a classic family favorite recipe and uses wholesome, real food ingredients. You won’t find canned cream of anything soup in this recipe! The flavor is fantastic and comes together in less than 30 minutes.
Turkey Stroganoff Recipe
This Turkey Stroganoff is comfort food full of nutritious ingredients and packed with flavor. It is made with lean ground turkey, mushrooms, flavorful spices and finished with creamy Greek yogurt. I love dinners like this that the whole family looks forward to eating and come together really quick.
I like to serve this stroganoff over egg noodles, but you can also serve over rice, mashed potatoes, quinoa, polenta, zucchini noodles, or cauliflower rice as an alternative.
Ingredients for Turkey Stroganoff
The majority of the ingredients needed for this stroganoff recipe are spices which you most likely have in your pantry already.
- Onion – you can use white or yellow for this recipe
- Mushrooms – white or crimini mushrooms work well in this recipe. If you can get them pre-sliced from the store, even better!
- Ground Turkey – most ground turkey available is 93% lean which is a great option for this recipe. You can find 99% lean, but it tends to be a lot drier when cooked.
- Spices – salt, pepper, ground thyme, paprika
- Dijon Mustard – has a very mild spice with a creamier texture than regular mustard
- Worcestershire Sauce – gives this recipe depth with its unique flavor and interesting vinegar tang
- Beef Broth
- Greek Yogurt – class stroganoff calls for sour cream. I prefer Greek yogurt because it gives the same creaminess, tangy flavor, but adds protein and calcium.
- Egg Noodles – these type of noodles have the same base as regular pasta, but have more egg mixed in when they are made. Stroganoff is classically served over egg noodles.
How to Make Ground Turkey Stroganoff
The entire stroganoff recipe is made in one pot or skillet and comes together in just under 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil or butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and cook another 5-6 minutes until they have cooked down.
- Add the garlic and ground turkey and cook until the turkey is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper, thyme, paprika, and flour to the turkey mixture and stir to combine.
- Stir in the broth, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and milk and bring the mixture to a simmer. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the egg noodles according to the package directions.
- Stir the Greek yogurt into the turkey mixture and cook until heated through, another minute.
- Serve over the egg noodles.
Can I Use Ground Turkey For Stroganoff
Absolutely yes! Many people prefer the texture and flavor of ground turkey over ground beef. Ground turkey cooks the same and be used just like ground beef in any recipe. These are some of the nutrition qualities of ground turkey:
- Lower in fat and calories – turkeys are generally a leaner animal. Depending on if the ground turkey is made of white or dark meat will determine the fat and calorie content. It is also stated on the label. My preference is 93% lean ground turkey for cooking with.
- Protein – ground turkey is a great source of protein with 22 grams of protein per 4 ounce serving
- Iron – ground turkey is a good source of iron
- Niacin – ground turkey is high in niacin which is a B vitamin that help turn food into energy. It helps keep your nervous system, digestive system and skin healthy.
What Should I Serve with Turkey Stroganoff
Class stroganoff is served over egg noodles. If you are looking for a gluten free alternative or just prefer to serve it over something other than pasta, here are some ideas:
- steamed rice
- mashed potatoes
- zucchini noodles
- cauliflower rice
Some Side Dish ideas to make this a complete meal:
Can I Freeze Turkey Stroganoff?
Yes you definitely can freeze the stroganoff after it is made. The only adjustments you will need to make are to leave out the Greek yogurt when you are initially making it. Dairy tends to curdle when frozen and reheated. After you reheat the turkey mixture, add the Greek yogurt before serving.
Store in an airtight container and it should stay good in your freezer up to 3 months. When you are ready to eat it, let it thaw in your fridge overnight and then reheat in a pan to serve.
More Favorite Quick Dinner Recipes
- Easy Weeknight Veggie Gnocchi – A healthy and delicious meal you can have on the table in just 20 minutes, thanks to store bought whole wheat gnocchi! Try this easy weeknight dinner that’s cooked in an easy and veggie-packed tomato sauce.
- Skillet Enchiladas – Your next Taco Tuesday recipe is here! Warm, bubbly Mexican Skillet packs in veggies and beans for a complete, vegetarian, one-pan meal.
- Healthy Turkey Sloppy Joes – Healthy Turkey Sloppy Joes piled high in whole wheat buns make a fast, fun, and nourishing weeknight dinner.
- 2 teaspoons oil or butter
- 1 small onion, chopped about 1/2 cup
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pound egg noodles
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
In a large skillet, heat the oil or butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
Add the mushrooms and cook another 5-6 minutes until they have cooked down.
Add the garlic and ground turkey and cook until the turkey is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
Add the salt, pepper, thyme, paprika, and flour to the turkey mixture and stir to combine.
Stir in the broth, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and milk and bring the mixture to a simmer. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the egg noodles according to the package directions.
Stir the Greek yogurt into the turkey mixture and cook until heated through, another minute.
Serve over the egg noodles. Enjoy!
Calories: 364kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 486mg | Potassium: 596mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 184IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 2mg
I’m a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.
Learn More about Natalie